Aboriginal Daintree Dreaming Tour
Experience our regions rich Aboriginal history and culture on this exclusive day tour adventure from Cairns and Port Douglas. Travel along one of Australia’s most scenic coastal drives as you head north of Port Douglas to Cooya Beach. (Kuku Kuku) This special place is a traditional fishing ground of the Kuku Yalanji people.
This unique coastal place has three diverse ecosystems-beach, mangroves and coastal reef. Here one of the Kubirri Warra brothers of Kuku Yalanji Cultural Habitat Tours will teach you how to throw a spear and other Aboriginal hunting techniques. Walk with the brothers on their traditional lands as you learn how to track and hunt for fish, mud crabs, mussels through the mangroves. Search and try bush tucker and bush medicines.
Enjoy home-made damper, tea, coffee and taste what you have caught on the balcony of their family home overlooking the ocean. The brothers demonstrate different Aboriginal artifacts and their uses.
We farewell the brothers and travel further north to Silky Oaks Lodge for a delicious lunch overlooking the Mossman River and Rainforest. Continuing north to the quaint Daintree Village in the rainforest we follow the Daintree River to Tranquility on the Daintree – a secluded 450 acre private property.
The Niau Falls are a pristine natural wonder, and your guided rainforest walk will unlock the secrets of this fascinating ecosystem. You will see strange primitive plants and learn about the original French settler family and their incredible story of survival. There’s time for a swim in this magical rainforest environment before heading south to Mossman and Janball Aboriginal Art Gallery and meet with artist in residence Binna who is your tutor today as you share in an authentic Aboriginal Art experience. Aboriginal art and craft are on display that depict the reef and rainforest of the Kuku Yulanji people. Your day of discovery comes to a close and you are returned to your accommodation.
This exciting and interactive tour through the World Heritage listed Daintree Rainforest provides a great insight into Australia’s Indigenous heritage and combines culture and nature with lots of fun. Please note tour can operate in reverse depending on tide times.
Cultural Walk and Talk
- 0930 – Just north of Port Douglas is beautiful Cooya Beach which is a traditional fishing ground of the Kuku Yalanji people. Join one of the Kubirri Warra brothers Linc or Brandon on their beach, mudflat and mangrove walk. This unique coastal place has three diverse ecosystems – beach, mangrove and inshore reef. They are all connected. You will learn about traditional fishing and gathering techniques to help you find your tucker (food). Your catch may include crabs, mussels and fish. The catch is cooked for everyone to share with a home-made damper on the balcony of the family home.
- 1215 – Travel to Mossman Gorge Centre and feast on a delicious lunch infused with the local flavours and served at the edge of the rainforest. There is also time to explore the gallery, filled with artworks from prominent and emerging local artists of the area.
Step Back In Time
- 1300 – You will be welcomed to Country at Mossman Gorge with a traditional smoking ceremony conducted by Aboriginal people with specialised cultural knowledge to welcome people to their land. This ceremony of spiritual cleansing wards off evil spirits and ensures that while you are on the traditional land of Kuku Yalanji people, you are accepted and honoured by them.
- 1315 – After lunch, you will wander into the lush rainforest of the World Heritage Listed Daintree National Park – Mossman Gorge. Experience one of the world’s oldest and most beautiful rainforests with your guide. Walking across boardwalks, tracks and bridges that adorns spectacular waterfalls and mountain ranges. Your guide will explain the rich flora, fauna and diverse ecosystem of this amazing rainforest. We are privileged to be given access to an area of Mossman Gorge that most are not usually allowed to go. Ensure you bring your bathers, so you can make the most of the beautiful private swimming hole that is encased by rainforest.
- 1530 – You will depart Mossman Gorge and head back down the coastal road to Cairns where your tour will finish
- * Please note tour can operate in reverse depending on tide times.
- 2 Hour coastal & mangrove walk
- Traditional gathering, fish, spear throwing & handling
- Catch land and sea bush tucker (food)
- Eat your ‘Catch of the day’ with homemade damper (traditional Australian bread)
- Welcome ceremony
- Guided walk tour through Mossman George
- Swim at our own private watering hole at Mossman George
- Lunch at Mossman George Centre
- Return bus transfers
What to bring
- Insect repellent,
- Towel, swimming clothes
- Bottle of water